Micklewright suggests applying lean principles to your quality management system.
• Companies tend to overdocument their QMS
• Sort your documents
• Check the revision record of documents
• Check documents from old standards
• Check contents of documents
• Create two-page quality manual
Using quick changeover to modify documents
• Value stream map of documentation
• Reduce wasted time in creating, modifying or approving documents
Integrating lean into your QMS
• Lean, ISO 9001, and other quality programs often duplicate each other
For more information on making a lean QMS, read Micklewright’s book: Lean ISO 9001: Adding Spark to your ISO 9001 QMS and Sustainability to your Lean Efforts available at the ASQ book store.